Monday 3 January 2011

Looking Back

2010, then. What the fuck was all that about? A World Cup and an election brought some excitement, along with the usual fuck ups by the English as a footballing and voting nation. No real surprise on either front there, then, and just my personal opinion, y'honour.

On the matter of the personal, 2010 was a year that I doubt I'll remember much for if I'm still around in ten years time. Didn't do much, pissed about in the same job, met a few guitarists with a view to getting a band together but didn't get on with any of them. Alas. But here's a few things I did like about the year just gone.

Game of the Year: All important, this one. Down to two contenders - Fallout New Vegas and Gran Turismo 5. A late shout was Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, but it being nothing but pure thrills and an over-emphasis on online play ensured it's purpose doesn't go beyond the odd ten minute burst.

Despite my criticisms the other week, it's the Fallout title that gets the nod here, but only after I managed to get the damn thing debugged to the point where I can complete it. A whole lot of trouble, but ultimately worth it. GT5 is a superb racing game, but it can involve a fair bit of repetition in order to see the whole game and the need for technical fiddling to get the best results is a bit beyond my ken. Also, the B-spec mode is incredibly dull and often outright irritating.

Album of the Year: Though recorded a few years ago, it was only released in 2010, so Paul Simpson's Man In A Burning Anorak: Volume 2 was my favourite new sounds of the year. My only vague criticism was that it should have been released under it's original title of The Wickedest Man In The World. Brilliantly downbeat, it's interesting to see if Simpson can equal or top it with the forthcoming Wild Swans album.

Kudos also goes to Small Black for their very enjoyable New Chain debut album, which is still getting regular plays round this part of the world.

Film of the Year: I didn't actually go the cinema at all in 2010, so no comment here. I did get the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theatres For DVD, however, which was most amusing.

Footballer of the Year: For my beloved Manchester United, natch. Again, a toughie as not many of the boys had a solid calender year except for the ever-solid Serbian machine, Nermanja Vidic, recently made captain. But I'm going to go with Dimitar Berbatov, because I love the fact he's a lazy bastard who has more creative talent in his little toe than most the rest of the team put together. Plus a hat-trick past Liverpool is enough to endear anyone to my heart for life.

Terry Fuckwit Clone of the Year: Much as it's easy to give this to David Cameron, it wouldn't be an honest assessment. After all, he's a Tory, and you know where you stand with that shower. You can sit back and await the cuts to services because that's what they do, and always have done. It's not excusing them, but at least you can assume a more comfortable position for when they want to come and fuck you up the arse.

With that in mind, step forward Nick Clegg, sadly not above a trapdoor that will drop you into a shark infested pool if I press a button. Now, we're all adults here, and I'm sure nobody is surprised when a politician stretches the truth of forgets the odd pre-election promise. Despite that, Clegg takes the mouldy biscuit by making his pledge to never vote against tuition fees a major part of his campaign and subsequently inviting future students to kiss his arse instead.

It'll be interesting to see where the Liberal Democrat party is in ten years or so. Not that Clegg will have to worry, as his new chums in the Conservatives will doubtless have a cushy number lined up for him. And yes, I'm bitter because I voted for that shower of shite.

No comments:

Post a Comment