Wednesday 9 November 2011

Do The Right Thing

Right, to set the scene, I'm moping around Manchester Academy, waiting for a friend to arrive so we can go see Throwing Muses. Across the road, I spy a group of maybe 20 people waiting for the bus. Only I know they’re wasting their time, as that bus isn't coming. And it’s dang cold out there, let me tell you.

How do I know this? Because an hour or so earlier, I'd caught the bus going the other way (heading towards the city), which had taken a huge diversion, missing out about half the usual route. Somewhat baffled by this, though I ended up pretty much where I wanted to be, I glanced at a bus shelter and spotted a small note informing us that services where being changed as the road was being closed down the line due to some Eid-related festivities.

Fine. Only this note wasn't exactly put in a place people would notice it, and was worded in a way that students new to the town would understand – given it listed “Wilmslow Road services” rather than 143, 142, 42 etc etc. It’s stuff like this, and stupidly expensive tram services that are getting another price hike, that make me think GMPTE should be slapped with a wet haddock until they see sense.

Back in the moment, instead of being typically English and minding my own business, I jaunted over the road to explain the situation to the hapless travellers, telling them they had to walk five minutes back down the road to find a bus. Most were confused, especially the aforementioned students who had no idea what or where Rusholme is. But they were soon on their way and hopefully out of the cold.

The reason I'm telling you this is because it actually gave me a palatable sense of well-being to do something, well, something nice for people I had never met before, or doubtfully will meet again. I’m not looking for congrats or kudos – it's just that doing something good is, umm, good. And it reassured me that I’m not an evil clone after all, because if I had been, I'd have just stayed inside, at the bar, pointing and laughing at the poor saps waiting for a bus presumably driven by Godot. Which isn't that bad, I agree, but I assume an evil clone of me would be as equally unmotivated to do anything as I am.

After all that, Throwing Muses were mighty and I came to the conclusion that not only is Kristin Hersh a fab guitar player, but she's also blessed with one of the best screams in rock. I've seen her play before as a solo show and also with 50 Foot Wave, but I found her best of all with her original band. David Narcizo and Bernard Georges were a good a rhythm section as I've seen in ages and a top night was had.

No comments:

Post a Comment