Wednesday 7 March 2012

Locals Shops for Local Gamers

As I mentioned in my somewhat unfocused rant from Monday, I had been let down by a video games store in my desire to purchase Mass Effect 3. Yesterday, I trooped up to town and got my £5 deposit back and on leaving, reflected it may be the last time I set foot in one of those shops, if rumours are to be believed.

It's not too surprising. A lot of businesses are struggling these days - video games and music being two areas copping for it the most, in the main part due to the rise of websites such as Play and Amazon, which are often a fair bit cheaper. A lot of people may crow or not give a toss if some chain goes bust ("they were always dead expensive anyways") but as I noted, the people who work in these places are often teenagers looking to make a bit of spending cash. I certainly don't envy them (or anybody else, for that matter) trying to find new employment.

As an ardent gamer for the best part of 25 years, it's coming to an end of an era for me. On the days my brother and I were dragged wherever by my parents, going to a games store was just about the highlight of the day. Even if I didn't have the change to buy anything, looking through the racks to find a potential purchase was enough. Besides, I could always beg 50p from my dad if I could get the pleading expression on my face right. Or I could, ahem, persuade my brother to chip in, back in the days where I could physically intimidate him.

Back then (a term which makes me sound like a right old git), you got most of your games from little shops owned by nerdy looking guys with beards who would boast of once having a conversation with the guy who made Manic Miner. All these seemed to disappear around the time big business sussed out that there was serious money to be made in the industry.

Yet even the likes of HMV are now struggling, which doesn't make for good prospects for what little indie shops are left. Though I've used online shopping a fair bit myself, I would miss the choice. After all, how many of us wake up in the morn and think "I fancy a new game/album/book" - not anyone in particular - and jaunt out for a search for something that looks a bit interesting. It's how I came out buying Fallout 3, something that turned out very well, so this is one shopper who will miss the days of casual browsing. I may get used to eventually buying everything online, but it'll take a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment