Friday 11 June 2010

The Place in the Side of Our Lives

Over the last two days, my patience at work has been running thin. Sick of phone calls demanding information, and now, sick of the people in the office going on about their personal lives.

At one point on Wednesday, I was all set to hand in my cards and just quit. Fuck it all off and spend some time working out a new direction to take. Of course, I would probably just sit on my arse for a few months before panicking about everything. But the idea of just answering another call from the boss with "Yes, OK. I'd like to hand in my notice" was there, and continues to crop up.

All this is the background to something a bit more positive - the buzz you get when a song you love comes on the radio. In this instance, it was was Pretty In Pink by the Psychedelic Furs. The original as well, not the cleaned-up version that was their biggest hit when the film of the same name come out.

Though I have the song on my mp3 player, so I can listen to it anytime I want, it feels different when it comes over the airwaves, as if the DJ picked it especially for you. It's also a song that can make me insanely jealous, from a lyrical perspective. I would have loved to have written that song and it's just a shame the film didn't even vaguely follow the same narrative.

It also reminds me of driving down Santa Monica Boulevard when I visited LA some years ago and it came on the radio then. Along with Crash by the Primitives (the first song I heard in California) and Tenderness by General Public, it's a song that always reminds me of the summer of 2005: Japanese beer, spending a fortune in Amoeba Records and staring out over the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment