Friday 14 May 2010

Space Flowers

In addition to it being Friday, I received some good news yesterday. Mitch Poole, PR bod, rang up to let me know the Wild Swans would be traversing the M62 in July to play a gig in sunny Salford.

This is obviously a wonderful thing. You can read a piece I put together on them last year here: http://www.noripcord.com/features/wild-swans-interview

Needless to say, I'll be doing all I can to get everyone I know down to the show. It's rare that I will go all-out to support an artist these days, but I have a strong belief that Paul Simpson (singer/songwriter) is one of the great talents of his time and am always keen to introduce his work to other people. The two Wild Swans gigs I attended in Liverpool in July and December 2009 were fantastic and I'm hoping they get a good crowd to create a great vibe.

Part of the reason I wanted to get into journalism was that I wanted to write about things I love. When I was eight or so years old, this was football and computer games: my dream was to work for Your Sinclair magazine. The crushing reality of both studying and working in the industry was enough to put me off for life, and I value that No Ripcord essentially has little or no editorial interference. We are allowed the freedom of our opinions and writing styles, to which I tip my hat to Mr David Coleman (also, many congrats to him on the birth of his first son).

My point is, a band like the Wild Swans inspire me to write articles, for what it's worth and I'm sure many people will offer sarcastic thanks to them. I want more people to hear their music as I feel it can touch and have meaning to a large audience. If by writing the above article, or this, one person goes to a gig or buys a CD on a whim and enjoys it, then I can take a great deal of satisfaction from my efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment