Thursday 15 April 2010

Democracy Today

At work today, while I was attempting to measure the erosive power of my breath on the wall, it was mentioned by some of my co-workers that there's to be some kind of televised debate between the leaders of the three main political parties tonight.

Here, I suggested it would turn out like the Jack Johnson/John Jackson presidential race in 'Futurama'. This earned looks of confusion, and I went back to silent clockwatching.

This happens a lot to me, not through anyone's fault, but my own misguided attempts at breaking the numbing tedium. A simple "what have you been up to?" in the kitchen while making coffee can bring the response "I have just been thinking about the absurdity of my existence in an unfeeling, meaningless universe," at which point I'll put on an anguished face. "Because everything seems so BLOODY POINTLESS SINCE SHE'S BEEN GONE FROM MY LIFE". Cue affected sobs.

Of course there's no laughs, because they don't know if I'm being serious or not, though there is an element of self-pitying truth. And also because there's no joke to get. Perhaps it's just my way of ensuring I get left alone as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment