Thursday 22 April 2010

Drunk in Time

Last night, due to my internet connection not working (thanks a lot, 3, you useless tossers), I ended up watching a film called "The Butterfly Effect".

It was pretty much standard Hollywood fare, the whole hook being the main character is able to go back in time by reading extracts from his childhood diaries. Therefore, he tried to 'save' his childhood squeeze from being abused by her father and brother. Naturally, it never works and a series of hilarious episodes show the consequences of fucking about in the past, including him ending up minus arms and legs and her as a drug-addled prostitute. Nothing surprising to anyone who's watched The Twilight Zone or that Halloween Simpsons where Homer makes a time machine from a toaster.

This led me to consider that the digital age, where we can talk to people anywhere on the world via MSN, Yahoo, Google or whatever, also allows us to 'save' these conversations and pore over them months later. Or perhaps it's just me. Needless to say, this was what I was doing late into the night, looking over messages, thinking 'what if I'd not said that?' 'what did they mean by that'?

It may well be dangerous ground to go over, but when you have little else to think about during the day (work isn't much of a distraction), it happens. Hindsight is a cruel mistress, and I'm left to wonder that if I'd acted a little different in 2009, I wouldn't be so sick of it all in 2010.

Then I remember, I would more than likely have done exactly the same things, said the same words. I'm reliably stupid like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment