Tuesday 27 April 2010

Rock Music

I've always been keen to tell anyone that would listen that British Sea Power are, to me, the only band to really strike any kind of chord with me from the last 10 years. Without doubt, the best of the first decade of the 21st century.

Whenever possible, I've tried to catch them when they pass through town, hence finding myself again at MohoLive last night. Originally, it was to be a Friday night but for whatever reason, it was shifted to a Monday. This was a bad thing. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels a bit dead on their feet after the first day back at work.

Also, the venue itself is a dump. Crap beer, crap sound and throughout the gig, the lighting was producing seizure-inducing headaches and at points, I had to stare at the ceiling to alleviate the irritation a little while.

It wasn't their fault I didn't really enjoy the gig nor, in all honesty, the fault of the venue. The evening had started with me getting upset and frustrated, questioning just what my ethical stance is on certain matters and whether I'm a good person or not. (answer: uncertain but not looking likely)

The band mined their first and third albums for their set, throwing in what I assume are a few promising new numbers (or b-sides I haven't heard). Eventually, at the death, they cleared my mental mugginess by thrashing through The Spirit of St Louis and I smiled for the first time that day.

British Sea Power remain the only band out there now that really matter to me. I hope next time I see them, it's in a better venue and I'm in a better frame of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment