Friday 13 June 2014

Day Two - Netherlands v Spain

Pre-Match Thoughts
Bit of a toughie, this one. The Dutch are coached by Louis van Gaal, who will take over at United after the World Cup, and their captain is Robin van Persie, our striker, even if he didn't seem to have his heart in it at points last season. Spain have Juan Mata and David de Gea in their ranks, although both are unlikely to feature in the starting XI. 

I should point out I think Juan Mata is fantastic. He really is. You could be a man with the most homophobic arsehole in the world for a dad, but if you brought Juan home, he'd be "ahh, well, fair enough". I was buzzing when we bought him and I really think he could be a top player for us over the next few years. It's a tough call to pick a favourite, but I may just edge for the Dutch in support of the new Boss. 

As has been repeated many times, these two played out the final of the last World Cup. That wasn't a great game and I'm not expecting this to be either. Neither team will want to risk too much from fear of a loss, especially with a strong Chile team also in the group. I'm leaning towards a 0-0, with the best hope of otherwise coming from a goal in the first 20 minutes.

Drink?
Oh, go on. Make mine a Staropramen.

First Half
Well, scrap the boring game theory...

Later than I mused, but Spain took the lead by buying a soft penalty, though it could have been different if Wesley Sneijder had managed to put away a very good chance earlier on. It's an open game now, however, though if David Silva had not tried to be a clever arse, it would have been 2-0. Instead, the keeper saved, the Dutch go up the other end and van Persie pulls off a spectacular header to even the score minutes before the whistle. 

It's hard to predict where it will go from here. It's a close game, with neither keeper that bothered bar the four major incidents. It may well end up being a matter of who has the legs to last the game out. 

Second Half
Well... can't say I expected THAT. Initially, it all seemed fairly equal before the Dutch must have punched their collective "Nitro" button to totally destroy the World and European champions. I don't think I can remember such a destruction of a force. 

People have talked of the ageing members of the squad, but it was Ramos and Pique at the back (both under 30) that looked shaky. Robben in particular enjoyed running riot and the Dutch have very much put themselves on the map with this result. 

I really enjoyed the game, just for the surprise in the second half. Whatever van Gaal said at half time, it worked and makes me very excited for next season with him at my team. It could easily have been six or seven, which I bet nobody predicated after 40 minutes. Torres' missing a total sitter near the end added a nice laugh. This is what I'm hoping to see more of. 

Result
Netherlands win 5-1 (!)

Tenuous Celebrity Connection of the Day
A guy I worked with, while studying in Hull back in the 1980s, lived next door to the mother of Roland Gift, singer from the Fine Young Cannibals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment