Thursday 12 June 2014

The Tedious World's World Cup, Day One

Hello, strangers! Yes, I'm back and in a (doubtless foolish) attempt to cure my current malaise - brought on by a killer combination of bad health and work shite - I'm going to try to watch as much of the football World Cup as possible.

I figured that the fact I've been unable to write anything for the last month and a half is also down to my lack of SELF-DISCIPLINE. Therefore, I'll try to force myself to write something about every game over the next month, within reason. Those who read this sorry-excuse-for-a-blog on a regular basis who hate football (hello!) may want to not bother coming here for a month. So:

BRAZIL vs CROATIA
Pre-Match Thoughts
Back in 1990, I remember getting the World Cup sticker album, thus I had a faint clue about most of the other teams. 24 years later, I admit my knowledge has slipped and any predictions I make will be based on stereotypes and out-of-date references.

All the same, Brazil are starting out as one of the favourites and as hosts, the pressure is on them to deliver. So, I'm going to hedge my bets by saying it'll either be a nervous opener, with a late winner from a Brazil, or the boys in yellow will thrive in the occasion and cruise to a 4-0. This is in part due to the fact I know a few of the Brazil team and how good they are. Croatia have Jelavic, who didn't look that good playing for Hull City last season, and Luka Modric - who is a quality player, no doubt.

Drink?
A few bottles of Jennings Lakeland Ale, for a taste of home. Cheers, Aldi.

First Half
Opening ceremony? Fuck that. I listened to Section 25's From the Hip album instead while waiting for kick off. But just as well I'm not a betting man, as Croatia started strong and took the lead. Brazil finally got their shit in order and managed to equalise through Neymar, expected to be the big star of the tournament, though he can count himself lucky to be on the pitch after a tasty elbow on Modric. Any other game, I reckon that would been a straight red.

Since the Brazil goal, they've been in control and you have to fancy them to score more in the second half. The hosts look dodgy at the back, but there's enough going forward to see them through.

Second Half
3-1 to Brazil doesn't tell the whole story. Their back four is shaky at best and they owe a large part of their victory to a referee whose arse seemed to go. The softest of soft penalties at 1-1 saw Brazil steady, though the keeper might have done better with that, and should have certainly saved Oscar's shot that made the points safe.

I may have to reappraise my feelings of Brazil as being amongst the favourites - going forward with the likes of Neymar, they'll score goals. But their goalkeeper and entire defence are going to cost them dear.

Randon Irrelevant Fact
My maternal grandma was born and raised in a hamlet a couple of miles out of town called Scilly Banks. It was basically a row of about 10/15 two up-two down houses, a church and a pub. The pub had closed shortly before I was born, but I can only assume it was sustained for all those years by the entire community going on the piss there every other night.

No comments:

Post a Comment