Monday 16 June 2014

Day Five - Iran v Nigeria

Pre-Match Thoughts
I doubt this is a much-anticipated game from an English (or even European) perspective. When they made their first WC finals in 1994, it was thought great things were to come from them, and yet they've never become the world beaters some expected.

Iran have made the finals a few times now, and are coached by Carlos Queiroz, who used to be Assistant Manager at Man United during a very successful time, which is a big plus in their favour. They'll need a few more of them on the pitch, as Nigeria as current African champions.

If I can just be stereotypically male for a second, in my student years, I lived in a flat above another occupied by a couple of nursing students, one of whom was Nigerian and looked so stunning, I did a slapstick-style banging my head after being distracted by her. That said, all the Persian women I've met (briefly, as it was) looked like film stars. So I'll be rooting for Iran.

I sicken myself with how shallow I can be sometimes... still, my head says 2-0 to Nigeria.

Drink?
Yeah, OK. I need one. Bottle of Black Sheep, ta.

First Half
Oh dear. Surely the worst half we've seen so far. Iran have stuck to their game plan of defending deep and hoping to catch on the break. They nearly did too, with the best chance falling to them via a corner, though the save it needed was routine.

Nigeria have been poor, especially when within of sight of the Iranian goal. This game is in danger of being a 0-0 bore.

Second Half
I guess after so many goal-filled games, it had to happen eventually. Iran were happy with the draw, though against a poor Nigerian team, they may subsequently feel they should have showed more ambition.

Bosnia and Herzegovina, only beaten 2-1 by Argentina last night, will fancy their chances here.

Result
0-0, zzzzz.

The Cure for Insomnia? 
I hope so. I'm off to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment