Friday 13 June 2014

Day Two - Mexico v Cameroon

Pre Match Thoughts
Like a lot of these games, I'll generally try to pick the team I want to win by any connection to Manchester United. One of our strikers, Javier Hernandez, is Mexican - a third generation international, as things are. Which is impressive. However, he's struggled in recent months, with no goals this calender year for his national side, all the while he's been unable hold a place at United. It wouldn't be a major surprise to see him leave this summer, and he doesn't start this game.

Cameroon made their first big impact in 1990, when they made the Quarter Finals, only going out after giving England a big scare. I remember a girl in my school, Lisa McAvoy, predicted great things for them beforehand, being laughed out of class for doing so. Girls, right? She had the last laugh on us, obviously. Apparently she was my first "girlfriend" when we were both six. I say "apparently" because I have no knowledge of this outside my mother's say-so.

Cameroon have been overtaken since then by the likes of Nigeria, Ivory Coast and Ghana. This year, they had a whinge about payments, which leads me to predict a 2-0 win for Mexico.

Drink?
Not just now, thanks.

First Half
I can only assume the linesman had £20 on 0-0 at half time, as my prediction should have been true already but for two awful offside calls. Mexico have looked by far the better side, moving the ball around well with Cameroon's only threats coming from their considerable size advantage, which they have used at set pieces.

Perhaps in the second half, with a different lino calling their attacking play, the Central American boys will grab the goals they need to stand a decent chance of making the second round.

Second Half
Well, I wasn't far wrong! Mexico will feel they should have won by more, but the points are what mattered. Cameroon were poor, only really testing the goalkeeper in the last moments. Even then, Hernandez missed an easy chance after that to make it two, which makes me glad I'm not a betting man.

Not a great game, due to the African lads not being much cop.

Result
Mexico win 1-0.

What You Don't Need To Know
I'm off for a shower before the next game.

No comments:

Post a Comment